Friday, October 16, 2009

Fashion designer creates Hello Kitty burqa for Hello Kitty 35th birthday exhibit

Today I was visiting my favorite Hello Kitty website, KittyHell only to find myself disturbed by today's post. Sanrio invited Portuguese fashion designer Maria Gambina to create a unique fashion piece as part of the up coming Hello Kitty 35th Birthday exhibit. The end result was a denim Hello Kitty Burqa.



I'm not sure what the artist's point and goal is here. I also am not sure why this thing is put up for sale on ebay! Who would wear this and where would they wear it? I consider a Burqa to be a symbol of oppression. So, is making a Hello Kitty themed garment any less oppressing? I'd like to think that the artist is not making light of oppression but perhaps expressing how unecssary and ridiculous a Burqa really is? I have no clue. Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment