Saturday, October 3, 2009

Loving Michael Moore but I have a bone to pick

Last night I went to my local movie theater to watch the opening of Michael Moore's newest documentary, Capitalism: A Love Story.



I was eager to see this film as I have immensely enjoyed Moore's former films.



I found that this film was not as humorous as his other films but really that is quite alright. While I appreciate Moore attempting to bring in some comic relief to the tragedies our nation often faces I think I can safely say that Moore's more important objective is to inform others.


Capitalism: A Love Story - Trailer (2009)

For those of you who haven't seen Moore's former films, I highly recommend them.




Sicko - Trailer (2007)
(Documentary about the U.S. healthcare system)




Fahrenheit 9/11 - Trailer
(2004)
(documentary about the politics behind 9/11)




Bowling For Columbine - Trailer (2002)
(documentary about violence and gun control)




Roger and Me - Trailer (1989)
(documentary about GM motors)

When Fahrenheit 9/11 came out in 2004 a couple other rebutal documentaries followed. One was Fahrenhype 9/11 and the other was Michael Moore Hates America.




Fahrenhype 9/11 - Trailer (2004)




Michael Moore Hates America - Trailer (2004)

I decided to watch both of these rebuttal documentaries as I think it is important to get both sides. Additionally, I couldn't fathom what anyone could possibly say against Michael Moore's films that could hold much weight.

When I watched these films years ago I discovered that there wasn't much that I agreed with. However, there were a couple of points that prompted concern.

If you have seen Bowling For Columbine (his film about violence and gun control) you may recall the beginning scene where Moore opens up a specific bank account where he will receive a
free rifle gun. Moore offers the humorous question "well, here's my first question...do you think it's a little dangerous handing out guns at a bank?" Moore later walks out of the bank with the rifle over his shoulder.

In Fahrenhype 9/11 the woman who assisted Moore in signing up for the bank account was filmed stating that it is not possible to walk out of the bank with the free gun on the same day. She stated that individuals who sign up for that account must first clear a background check and it takes time for the guns to be sent to the bank. She also stated that Moore had requested that he leave the bank with a gun that very day.

Could this woman be lying? Sure. Is she? Who knows but I think the issue must be considered.

Another clip was shown in Moore's film Fahrenheit 9/11 where Moore points out how our U.S. veterans are often forgotten and left behind. Moore films several vets who have lost limbs and who are in physical and emotional pain. One specific man who was filmed in Fahrenheit 9/11 later speaks in Fahrenhype 9/11 to say that he feels Moore manipulated the situation as he personally did not feel that he was left behind or forgotten and he actually felt very proud to serve in the Iraq war.

After seeing this I thought...did Moore really edit parts of his film to feature situations that point in his favor? In my mind Moore has enough to go on that he doesn't need to do this. He is a film maker that emphasizes that he finds out the facts that are indisputable.

So why do this? I once thought that I would write Michael Moore a letter to ask him these questions. For whatever reasons...laziness, hesitations what have you, I never did it.

I really do love what Moore does. It is just disappointing to know that he might actually be compromising himself by manipulating scenarios. I don't understand how anyone can feel comfortable with that.

It does have me wondering what else he might be editing in his favor.

That being said I must note that I do appreciate Michael Moore. I think that he is a smart and caring individual. He uses his talent and skill for the better good. He makes films about things that matter to not only him but so many of us. He is someone who wants change and wants to open the eyes of others. Not all will agree with his views and that's okay.

However, who knew that making films could be so dangerous? He is truly sticking his neck out. He receives so much mockery and death threats simply because he wants to voice his opinion. I do not shame the nay sayers for voicing their opinions through articles, rebutal documentaries and so on. I think that they are well within their rights.

Whether you like his work or not you've got to admit that the man has guts. He's quite brave to do some of the things he does. To walk right up to politicians, and other authoritarians and challenge them face to face. How many of us that that bravery.

While I am a bit concerned about your editing process Mr. Moore (and I do admit I do not have all the facts) I will say that I am grateful to you. Thank you Mr. Moore for all that you do. Peace.


Amy Goodman interviews Michael Moore about his newest film Capitalism: A Love Story on Democracy Now (2009) PART 1


Amy Goodman interviews Michael Moore about his newest film Capitalism: A Love Story on Democracy Now (2009) PART 2


Amy Goodman interviews Michael Moore about his newest film Capitalism: A Love Story on Democracy Now (2009) PART 3


Amy Goodman interviews Michael Moore about his newest film Capitalism: A Love Story on Democracy Now (2009) PART 4


Amy Goodman interviews Michael Moore about his newest film Capitalism: A Love Story on Democracy Now (2009) PART 5

For more information on Michael Moore...

www.michaelmoore.com


www.myspace.com/mmflint


www.facebook.com/mmflint


www.twitter.com/mmflint

No comments:

Post a Comment