Sunday, August 23, 2009

The activism of Joe Carr



I just posted on the activism of Rachel Corrie. A young woman who died at the age of 23. She was an activist protesting in Gaza and was run over by a bulldozer that was demolishing homes.

One of the eye witnesses was Joe Carr. A fellow student from the Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington. I attended the school from 2000-2002 and have since returned to California. Joe Carr has been involved in international activism, music creation and speaking tours across the U.S.



Joe has worked with the International Solidarity Movement and the Christian Peace Maker Teams and has traveled to various locations such as At-Tuwani (A Palestinian village), Baghdad, Karballa and Fallujah. Joe has been promoting non-violence and anti-occupation with his fellow activists.


(www.lovinrevolution.org)
Destruction of Fallujah: Photo taken by Joe Carr


(www.lovinrevolution.org)
Destruction of Fallujah: Photo taken by Joe Carr

Joe has released two albums on his own entitled Plant the Olive Branch and Resistance to Empire. To listen to music from these albums and some of his spoken word poetry head over to
http://www.lovinrevolution.org
http://www.myspace.com/joe_carr
http://www.myspace.com/lovinrevolution

Joe has a beautiful voice that I have always admired. I doubt he remembers but on the day I graduated from The Evergreen College he gave me a cd of some cover songs he had recorded for a graduation project. I still have it to this day.

A strong memory I have of Joe is the night we both attended a Harvest Fest that took place on the Evergreen College campus Organic Farm. To get to the farm one must walk a 10 minute narrow trail which is such a joy to walk. The campus is smack dab in the middle of the forrest and along the dirt path are trees galore.

After the Harvest Fest I found that the friends I had attended the event with were long gone. I feared walking back along the trail as it was pitch black. I had no idea as to how I was going to make it back. Joe however was ready and willing. He took my hand and led the way. The poor man was barefoot and had to deal with mud and other pokey forms of nature. Joe decided to sing and it was then that I was exposed to the amazing range of his voice. He sang "Mary Had A Little Lamb" and it was the most incredible version of that song I had ever heard. He transformed the traditional child's song to something completely new.

As we continued to walk I suggested we sing Amazing Grace. Again, I was blown away by his voice. Eventually we made it through the forrest as we were greeted by artificial light and concrete. Perhaps this is a memory that has left Joe's mind but I still consider it a great moment in time.


Joe Carr sings "Global Intifada"


Joe Car sings "I Am Not a Soup Can"

While Joe and I differ on some issues we also agree on many. I can say that I am just so happy to see that he continues to make music and it is a great brand of activism.


Joe Carr sings "More To Learn"

No comments:

Post a Comment