Friday, August 28, 2009

The Professionals

Today while at work I really felt a queasiness. This isn't the first time I have felt this way. I often feel uncomfortable when I really pause and look at the men and women that surround me dressed in casual business attire.

Often when I happen to be out for lunch during a work day I will watch the traffic of men and women that must dress in more "professional" business attire than I. The whole suit and tie and business skirt dress style really makes me nauseous. This seem a bit extreme? Perhaps. But really, it reeks of conformity.


(corporateclothing.com)
"Business Attire"


(www.wardrobe911.com)
"Casual Business Attire"

I remember struggling with this from teenhood on. In high school and during my college years I sported a variety of bright hair colors. Purple, red, blue, magenta and a variety of pinks. When I entered my first job at a Kinko's Copy store (awful job!) I was once approached by an assistant manager and scolded for my bright red hair. I remember she asked me if I thought my hair appeared "professional." I said no, but really...what is professional?

Eventually, I left that job and began working at a Borders book store where my hair wasn't a problem. And later when left to complete my junior and senior years of college in Olympia, Washington I was allowed to come back and work in the summers with my new magenta dreadlocks. However, I should note that I think the "alternative" look was somewhat of a gimmick at Borders as the company wanted to present itself as a "hip" store.

Regardless of their marketing tactics I don't think the business suffered due to the many employees who chose to wear bright hair, piercings or tattoos. And aren't those three things of the signifiers of "unprofessional"?

Later down the road I took on a job as a childcare counselor for at risk youth and after that I worked at a shelter for runaway teens. I knew that I had to conform and therefore cut off my dreadlocks.

A bit further down the road when I entered graduate school I noticed a young woman in my program who wore dreadlocks. I was surprised as I thought she would most likely have to cut them off in order to appear "professional" when our program began interning. I never met her personally but I noticed that she did cut her dreads off. I can only imagine why.

So, why is it that we have to wear "business clothes" at most work environments? And if such a concept is so important to the appearance of certain agencies, why is it acceptable for some to allow "casual fridays" where some employees are allowed to wear...gasp!...jeans!

When I get up in the morning and dress for work I am wearing items that I would never wear in my free time. I think a lot of us do this. Who am I dressing for? My co-workers? My supervisors? I suppose it's the agency and even the head haunchos have to wear business attire.

I can't help but feel that we are all putting on a falsehood. We are not being ourselves and I often think that these costumes present an "us vs. they" environment. The professionals vs. the client or in some cases customers or consumers. As a social worker I think I would not be harming anyone if I were to dress how I care to.

I plan on getting tattoos on my arms in the future and I know that I will have to begin wearing long sleeved shirts every single day. Doesn't that seem a bit odd and unfair?

The fact that we are presenting a false version of ourselves in our dress clothes (unless of course the individual truly enjoys wearing these clothes on a daily basis) is what depresses me. I feel that we are not authentic and we are not truly living.

On most days I can roll with the punches and just concentrate on work. But other days like today I just feel low. Call me too sensitive, call me whatever; but I think our society is screwed. The "alternative" look is viewed as unprofessional because many work environments refuse to put down biases and discrimination. The norm wins and therefore we march like ants to our respective jobs as "the professionals."

No comments:

Post a Comment