Tuesday, August 18, 2009

PETA disappoints once again


(blog.peta.org)

PETA disappoints me once again. It's bad enough that PETA insists on placing so many sexist ads that reveal women naked in attempts to draw in new vegetarians/vegans. But now they are showing their insensitivity but targeting heavy folk.

When I see a large woman or man I am not filled with a sense of disgust. I do not shame heavy individuals or think that they are not deserving of respect. However, I will say that I am not the type of feminist that thinks that every body size is beautiful. While I do think that large women and men can be, I also think that there is such a thing as being unhealthy. Just as I think that Barbie doll figured women can be unhealthy.

My wish for every individual is that they are happy and healthy in their bodies and minds.


I am disappointed in PETA as they not only are targeting heavy individuals but they seem to be targeting women specifically.

This recent PETA campaign is an attempt to prove audiences that vegetarians are often leaner than individuals who eat meat. That's all fine and good PETA but isn't there another way to get the word out?

Also, I should add that not all individuals are heavy for the same reasons. I am not giving an excuse to remain heavy if the individual wants to lose weight. However, I am aware that some people struggle due to genetics, medications, endocrine issues, and more.

I'd like to believe that the people at PETA are smart individuals who care not just for the safety and well being of animals but of human beings as well. But frankly, I'm just so tired of witnessing such irresponsible, sexist, insensitive and flat out mean advertising from this organization.



Their recent ad is very similar to a bumper sticker I saw just last week that read, "Save A Whale Harpoon A Fat Chick."

Who knows how much good it will do but I think it's about time I wrote PETA a letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment