Monday, August 31, 2009

After 26 years Reading Rainbow says goodbye


(npr.org)
LeVar Burton as the host of Reading Rainbow

It is coming to a close my friends. This Friday will mark the finale of the PBS children show Reading Rainbow.



Even though I haven't watched Reading Rainbow since childhood I have fond memories of the show. The show began in 1983 and was hosted by actor LeVar Burton for 26 years.

Each episode featured a children's book that inspired an adventure between the kids and Burton. Burton would reference the intrigue of the book by spouting his famous line, "But you don't have to take my word for it ..." Kids would then give their own review of the book.

So, why is the show ending?

John Grant, who is in charge of content at WNED Buffalo, Reading Rainbow's home station explained in a recent NPR interview that no one is willing to fund it anymore. Several hundred thousand dollars are needed to renew the show's broadcast rights and PBS and the station are turning a blind eye.

Grant says that in addition to the lack of funding there educational television programming is changing. During the time of the Bush administration the Department of Education preferred a bigger focus on the basic tools of reading, spelling and grammar.

Reading Rainbow was a show that did not so much teach kids HOW to read but rather why. was trying to do.

"Reading Rainbow taught kids why to read," Grant says. "You know, the love of reading — [the show] encouraged kids to pick up a book and to read."

In my opinion this is worth keeping the program on the air. The program has done well for all these years and imagine it would continue to have an audience if continued.

I am an avid reader myself and I am always thrilled when I meet a person young or old who is a reader. As a person who has worked with children in different capacities over the years I can tell you that I have always encouraged kids to read. I think that if they find an interest in reading that can only help them in terms of spelling, grammar and pronounciation. I guess the big wigs didn't think so.

Fare thee well Reading Rainbow you inspired so many!


Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high!
Take a look! It's in a book!
Reading Rainbow!

2 comments:

  1. nOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.............. This is an atrocity! No no no....I will not accept this. I cried when Mr. Rogers died and they did this tribute to him on the Emmys. Then MJ. And now Reading Rainbow? Say it ain't so, you speak lies, no mamma no :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. so i just realized that this is an old comment....2 years old! Either way, I still stand firm that this didn't happen :)

    ReplyDelete