Sunday, August 16, 2009

Obama is not afraid of the F word



This post is late but I am writing it anyway. This is the January issue of feminist magazine, Ms.
When I first saw the cover I was impressed but I also thought to myself...has Obama ever claimed to be a feminist? Has he ever used that word? I had never heard him say it.

Well...

"When the publisher of Ms., Eleanor Smeal, and the chair of the Feminist Majority Foundation board, Peg Yorkin, met Barack Obama, he immediately offered "I am a feminist." Obama ran on the strongest platform for women's rights of any major party in American history. Feminist Karen Kornbluh, the platform's principle author, ensured women's rights, opportunities, advancement, and issues were addressed throughout the historic document."

I have mentioned in the past that I am not fond of the "This Is What A Feminist Looks Like" shirts, tote bags, hats and other items that are for sale on The Feminist Majority website. While I am all for women and men speaking up for what they believe, I often think that the bumpersticker mentality often trivializes the movement even if it is unintentional.

However, I will say that because the feminist movement often feels like a movement that consists of only women (which is of course not the truth) it is refreshing to see an image of Obama with a shirt that says he is a feminist. It is wonderful to know that he is not afraid to say out loud that he is.

For more information on Ms. Magazine go to http://www.msmagazine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment