Saturday, August 29, 2009

"Good Hair" vs "Bad Hair" in the African American community

Chris Rock has made a documentary entitled "Good Hair." I am so glad he did this as I think it will help non-African American men and women understand (and I am including myself in this as I am not African American) the racism often accompanies the form of a person's hair. Not only this but it explores the difficulty of maintaining "good hair" and the relationship that both black men and women have with their hair.

Good Hair - Trailer

In a recent New York Times article, Ingrid Banks, an associate professor of black studies at the University of California at Santa Barbara, says,

"For black women, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you've got straight hair, you're pegged as selling out. If you don't straighten your hair," she said, "you're seen as not practicing appropriate grooming practices."

There is so much at stake here. Not only are black women subjected to and sometimes perpetuate a system that infuses their hair choices with all sorts of social and political implications, but there are major economic implications as well. The Times article reports that "Last year, sales of home relaxers totaled $45.6 million (excluding Wal-Mart), according to Mintel, a market research firm, a figure that has held steady in recent years."

I would also like to point out that even though Chris Rock's documentary is new, he is not the first to expose or discuss this topic. I would like to point out a few who give attention to this issue.

Feminist author (one of my favorite authors) and Harvard professor Bell Hooks wrote a children's book in 1999 entitled Happy To Be Nappy. The book explores a child's individuality and celebrates hair that is "soft like cotton, flower petal billowy soft, full of frizz and fuzz."

Author Carolivia Herron is another author who promotes love for nappy hair. The author's 1998 released children's book follows the story of a little girl who is initially teased because of the style of her hair.

I think these books are so important as children are often exposed to the biased idea that African American hair can be unttractive or unnatural.


Cartoon artist Aaron McGruder is the author/artist of one of my favorite comic strips The Boondocks. The comic has been retired but I recommend purchasing the anthologies.

Here "Huey" is having a conversation with his next door neighbor "Jazmine".

HUEY: Here… Take my pick. Really. Think of it as a gift.

JAZMINE: I don’t want your stupid pick Huey… I don’t care what you say. I DON’T. I DON’T. I DON’T!!!

HUEY: (Sigh) So sad.

JAZMINE: What?!

HUEY: You’re suffering from “Afro-Denial.” Textbook case.

JAZMINE: Afro Denial?

HUEY: This looks serious. I better start planning the intervention.



***

Moving on..

Now, I am not really a fan of the Tyra Banks show but occassionally I will run into it and find she has some interesting topics to discuss.

On Tyra's show about black hair she had two guesst who is the author of a book entitled Hair Story. This is one of the many books on my "to read" list.



The book explores not just the current issue of black hair but the history of it.


What Is Good Hair - Tyra Banks Show - PART 1


What Is Good Hair - Tyra Banks Show - PART 2


What Is Good Hair - Tyra Banks Show - PART 3


What Is Good Hair - Tyra Banks Show - PART 4


What Is Good Hair - Tyra Banks Show - PART 5

I cannot assume to know what it is like to face the pressures of maintaining "good hair" as I am not a black woman. I do have curly hair and have struggled with it. I've straightened it, I've dreaded it and now it it remains curly. My hair is not unattractive to me however, I have always preferred straighter hair as it is easier to maintain.

I think that my experience is very different from those who have black hair. I think most of us who are not black really have no idea as to what it is like to grow up as a man or woman with hair that is as course as a black individual.

I very much feel for black children who often face pressures from such a young age. I don't know about you but I have never seen a doll with poofy hair or a fro.

We need more folks to promote natural beauty that is not modified. I do not condemn women who alter their hair styles with relaxers, braids, corn rows, dreads etc. I just hope that those who make such choices are not ashamed of their natural hair.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you kindly for stopping by. I will certainly take a look at it.

    ReplyDelete