Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Shihan




Shihan has been co-hosting Da' Poetry Lounge, the nation's largest open mic night held in Hollywood, CA. He is also the official producer of Spoken Word Fest at the Pan African Film Festival (the world's largest and most prestigious african american film festival). He offers workshops and performs poetry across the country


Shihan - "The Auction Network"

Initially I had a difficult time with the fact that Shihan used the n-word in this piece. I do not know how he feels about the the use of the word but I came to realize something. In my view this piece is about a generation. I'd say, the mtv generation. It's about how black men and women are often perceived in many mainstream rap videos and media. That many think it's cool to be a "nigga". In reality it is a word that I feel is inappropriate to use in context. In my mind it doesn't matter whether it's used to offend or whether it is used for casual communicatory purposes.


Shihan - "Sick and Tired"


For more information go to
http://www.shihansback.com
http://www.myspace.com/shihanthepoet

No comments:

Post a Comment