Sunday, August 2, 2009

Hooray for PSAs against "that's so gay!"

Recently I came across Public Services Announcements posted on youtube that ask the public to refrain from using the phrase "that's so gay!". I couldn't be more delighted. Apparently these PSAs have been out since 2008. Where have I been? I never once saw them on tv.

As a social worker who has worked with children, teens and adults in various behavioral and mental health settings, I have found that it is usually the younger folk who tend to use the phrase "that's so gay". While it has never been my place to attempt to change one's beliefs about homosexuality, I have done my best to enforce respect and civility.

Through my former work with pre-teens and teens I discovered that the individuals who felt comfortable referring to someone or something as "so gay" often didn't really think about why they used the word gay. Some did so from outside influences and the word just became habit. And some very much associated "gay" with "bad", "lame", "stupid".

I made a point of informing my clients (and continue to inform anyone I come across) that in our culture it seems acceptable to suggest that something "bad" often equates to something seemingly homosexual or feminine.

I have spoken with friends who are teachers and they have confided that they too come across the same issues. A bad throw with a food ball becomes a "gay" throw or "my sister could do better than that!".

I'd like to think that most people would put up a fight if they heard the words "that's so black" or "that's so jewish" or "that's so straight". Well, I think it's time we stand up for our gay, lesbian, bi and transgendered folks. Understand that standing up for another community is not something that you do simply for THEM but for yourself as well. As a human being I am offended by phrases like "that's so gay".



Comedian Wanda Sykes


Actress Hilary Duff

For more information go to http://www.thinkb4youspeak.com

No comments:

Post a Comment