Monday, September 7, 2009

Another shout out to The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck!



A while back I posted about The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck. I've become a follower of the blog and have been enjoying reading up.

Doug Quint is the owner and driver of The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck. He is a basoonist in an orchestra but when his group is on Summer break he is unemployed. That's when he came up with the idea of the ice cream truck.


Zephyros Winds


Here are some happy customers...



Trix covered ice cream cone


Blonde & Brownie - Nilla Wafer and Dulce de Leche


Carmalized chocolate bacon ice cream sandwich


Ice cream and pickle - as Quince says...100s of pregnant women can't be wrong!

Here's a list of more toppings, directly from his blog site.

  • Grape Nuts: seems a be a classic combo with vanilla & both D & I are fans.
  • Bacon Bits: Bac-Os just seem wrong & too chemically (sorry Betty Crocker) but if anyone has ideas for more natural bacon bits let us know. This idea is inspired by the amazing Mo's Bacon Bar by Vosges.
  • Olive Oil & Sea Salt: Mario Batali has his (very excellent) gelato at Otto, but this soft serve creation I first had at the great Pizzeria Picco in Larkspur, California (Marin County).
  • Blueberries: Doug needs to use his roots & bring back some fresh Maine blueberries from his trips home. Or, maybe some Cape Cod varieties (Nathan, are you reading this?)
  • Chili Powders: ancho, chili pepper, chipotle, nothing spices up & intensifies chocolate like some heat.
  • Crushed Pretzels: I’m a huge sweet & salty combo fan. This would do the trick.
  • Malt: For those that love soda joint classics.
  • Toasted Coconut: Surprised this isn’t already an option.
  • Sno-Caps: good size candy, perfect as a topping.
If you visit The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck blog site you can purchase t-shirt, caps, magnets and mugs with the logo featured.



I'm actually tempted to purchase the mug even though I have not visited the truck myself. The truck travels in New York but I must say I am quite excited about Quint's business. I love that he's proud of his sexual orientation and doesn't feel the need to hide it, he is friendly and enjoys his job. How great is that? Certainly puts a smile on my face.

Quint says that he is received by very friendly customers and some even give him gifts!


Crocheted Big Gay Ice Cream logo

Alicia Kashmar gave Quint this ice cream cone which represents his logo. I was so impressed with this that I visited her website.

Kashmar creates crocheted treats and sells them on etsy. I visited her site and I like her work. I know of other websites that sell crocheted food items but I'm always on the lookout for more. Visit the site if you'd like to purchase crocheted ice cream cones, cupcakes, fried eggs, limes, fruit, smores and more.

If you aren't in the mood for food themed items she sells clouds with rain tears, mini squids, little piggies and much more.

Anyway.....

Back to The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck....

For updates on where the truck will be traveling next, what's new with the business, and ice cream truck shirt sitings, go to the blogsite.

I'm not a Twitter gal myself but for those of you who dig it, Quint has a Twitter site as well.

Last but not least check out the facebook group page.

No comments:

Post a Comment