Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tyra Banks - Just what is she trying to say?



Tyra Banks wins an Emmy. I've seen parts of the Tyra Banks show and I have noticed that she does touch on some important topics. I must say however, that I take issue with some of the things that Tyra does.

Let me start a bit earlier than this years 36th Day Time Emmy Award Show. It starts with America's Next Top Model.



When this show came out I had no interest. The show ran for many seasons and eventually I found myself pausing. I watched it a bit and found the show to be somewhat interesting. The process of posing in various creative environments was intriguing to me. But ultimately the show is about looking a certain way and being able to sell product. I wasn't watching the show much to begin with but I made the decision to ignore the show all together.

At some point down the road, I learned that the show even featured a few plus models and also a transgendered woman. Is this improvement in the fashion world? Perhaps, but ultimately modeling is a shallow industry.

In 2007 tabloids had a field day when they snapped a shot of Tyra in a bathing suit looking heftier than usual.



Tyra's response was to appear on her talk show wearing the same swim suit to show the world that she is not that heavy.


Tyra addresses 2007 tabloid photos


Tyra Banks addresses 2007 tabloid headlines


Tyra Banks addresses negative comments


Tyra's last words were "Kiss my fat ass!"

I find Tyra's stunt to be a contradiction. She admits that the paparazzi hurt her feelings but had also stated that her curvy photo was beautiful and she maintains high self-esteem.

I think that she really went out of her way to prove that she doesn't care and even further to prove that she is not heavy. While I would have just left the issue alone I am not Tyra.

I am not shaming Tyra for feeling offended by the actions of the paparazzi. My issue is that Tyra has made on going statements that she appreciates all shapes, sizes and looks but I do not believe this is so. Not only has she formerly made her living as a model, not only does she host a modeling show but she feels the need to defend herself to extremes. She contradicts herself and this is what bothers me.

It's not the end of the world for me but I think she sends very mixed messages to the many young girls who watch and admire her.

Now on to her Emmy win..

This morning as I was driving to work I was listening to the KROQ radio station morning show, Kevin & Bean. I stopped listening to KROQ's music years ago but still listen to the morning show from time to time. To be honest I'm not being a good little feminist when I do as the two hosts have a tendency to be quite sexist.

I learned of Tyra's Daytime Emmy win through their entertainment announcement. Tyra has appeared on the Kevin & Bean radio show several times in past years. I can't remember which host it was, but one had a major crush on her.

In recent years that crush has all but faded and both hosts have ridiculed her for her bathing suit contradiction and now for her speech at the Daytime Emmy Awards. The morning show aired clips of Tyra's acceptance speech and I admit it unnerved me. In her own words, Tyra dedicated her award to women who feel they are not beautiful on the inside or the outside. Tyra said she related to these women. Kevin & Bean scoffed at this as Tyra is after all an ex-supermodel. This of course does not mean that she has not felt unsure of herself in her own life time.

I however, feel that she doesn't quite know what it is to be someone who doesn't receive the attention that she does and is not sought after as she is. Understand that this is not jealousy. I simply get the sense that Tyra is not sincere. Could I be wrong? Surely.

I mentioned earlier that the Kevin and Bean from the Kevin & Bean show are sometimes quite sexist. Well, this morning's show was a perfect example of that. As they went on and on about how Tyra was a walking contradiction they played a radio drop in which some high pitched whiney voices sang, "Tyra is a big fat whore!"

I do not hate Tyra Banks but I feel she is not always genuine. Do I think she's a "big fat whore"? Of course not. If you dislike the way a public figure behaves then simply know that. But how is it that these two individuals actually find enjoyment out of degrading this woman? I guess I should really let go of the guilty pleasure and stop listening to their morning show just as I stopped watching Tyra's modeling show!

Lastly, I'd just like to say that I am not sure what Tyra's true message is to her viewers. I reiterate, that she sends a contradicting message to her viewers and her admirers. I would not consider her a role model for young women and I do not consider her show to be feminist.

1 comment:

  1. girl tyricaz mah homegirl dont b dissin on her she sexy and thick and she was sayin that its beautiful to b a big size boo if tyra banks thinks im sexy cos imma big girl its all good boo

    ReplyDelete