Saturday, September 12, 2009

LINGERIE football?!



I saw a commercial today, advertising "Live Lingerie Football." I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by this concept ay? Even so I find it sad that any woman would want to be a part of this.

Apparently the female team in the photo above goes by "Chicago Bliss" and they have been playing in "Lingerie Bowls."

The women are coached and trained. How much previous football playing experience they have had prior to this gig is knowledge I do not have. However, I don't think their athletic prowess is of much concern to spectators.

I am actually concerned for the safety of these women. They are tackling each other and fumbling in skimpy outfits that offers no protection. Would male football players do this? I doubt it.

When women make the choice to subject themselves to patriarchy I can't help but wonder why. Money? Fame? A shallow attempt at boosting self-esteem? A need for attention? Whatever the reasoning, it seems that fans of this money making scheme don't have a problem with why.

As I was looking for articles that explain this terrible idea, I found several sports writers that voiced that they were fully behind the idea of girls pushing each other over in short shorts, and bikini tops.

Gerrard McClendon of Chicago Now writes in an September article,

"I know that my male chauvanism is all over the place right now, but I'm a pig. Look for me on the 50-yard line with a bucket of popcorn. Go Chicago Bliss. They'll probably win a championship before the Cubs, so I'm a fan!"

So, apparently McClendon actually has insight into the fact that his expressing chauvanism. How many others are there? Men and women alike who know that the Live Lingerie Football concept is sexist yet they endorse it anyway....men and women alike who deny their conscience.

No comments:

Post a Comment