Saturday, September 26, 2009

Headdress



In 2006 I some how stumbled across Headdress. Don't ask me how. I don't remember anything about it, but all I know is that I landed on their myspace page and I fell in love.

Headdress at the Mowhawk: 2007 tour

Headdress is a collaboration between guitarist Caleb Coy and organist Ethan Cook. The two describe themselves as "A dazzling combination of sloe-eyed country ballads, heavy psychedelic staring contest, and shamanistic chants".

When I heard samples of their work on Myspace I immediately purchased their debut album Turquoise. While the band was mainly selling vinyl I was able to snag a reissued limited CD-R.



The Texas band formed in 2006 and didn't stop at "Turquoise". I just purchased their second album "Lunes". The album was written in the desert and recorded in New York City.



To purchase this cd or vinyl go to No Quarter

To find more info on Headdress go to their facebook page, their myspace page or their record label's page.


Photo by Briana Purser Photography

The droning sounds of headdress feel quite mystical. When I listen to them I get a sense of travel, bon fires, folk tales, and nature. I'm not sure if this is their intent but their seemingly Native American-esque music certainly captures me in this way.

Headdress in a church in Marfa ,Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment