Saturday, September 12, 2009

Tyra's attempts to empower women fall short

I just read an interesting post on Womanist Musings. A video of Tyra Banks was posted in which she tells her talk show audience that she has taken out her false hair to show people the "raw" Tyra.


The Tyra Show 5th Season Premiere

The author of Womanist Musings believes that even though Tyra has taken out her extensions, she still has relaxer in her hair which does not exemplify a "raw" Tyra.

From the video however, I have no idea as to whether she has relaxer in her hair or not. She tells the audience that she had just come from the shower, and the video reveals that her back is still a bit wet. Her hair appears slicked down and I think that may be because her hair is still wet.

If she does indeed have relaxer in her hair then yes, I will agree with Womanist Musings that she is not accepting her hair as it is naturally.

Tyra often contradicts herself when it comes to beauty and body image. She likes to trumpet bold and empowering messages to young girls but often sends out conflicting messages instead. Hosting America's Next Top Model is one of several examples.

I must say, that I am not quite sure as to why Tyra felt the need to show off her "real" hair anyways. I'm pretty sure she will continue to wear weaves, wigs and extensions in the future.

I do not have a problem with african american individuals using relaxers, weaves and other hair products. Women and men alike use products to modify natural looks. Hair spray, gel, mousse....make-up, plastic surgery, etc. Is there a limit?

Although, I do not take issue with african american individuals using various hair products, I do think there is often a stigma against black hair that exists inside and outside of the black community.

Often within the black community their is differiention between "good hair" and "bad hair". "Kinky" or "nappy" hair is often considered to be "bad hair."

I think we all have a personal preferance when it comes to our appearanace. I'm sure most of us are more vain than is necessary. I just have the hope that it is possible for an individual to enjoy a certain hair type but not feel that they are less than someone else because they do not have that same hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment