Saturday, September 26, 2009

Former Charles Manson Follower Susan Atkins dies

Susan Denise Atkins died at the age of 61 one at 11:46 p.m. PT Thursday, at the Central California Women's Facility in Chowchilla.

Atkins is recorded as California's longest serving female inmate as she entered prison in 1971. Atkins had been suffering terminal brain cancer.

In 1969 when as the 21-year old Atkins and other Manson family members participated in seven murders over a two day period.



Atkins admits she stabbed eight month pregnant actress Sharon Tate sixteen times. Afterward she wrote the word "pig" in blood on the door of the home Tate shared with her husband, director Roman Polanski.



In March 2008 Atkins was diagnosed with brain cancer. Doctors predicted she would live less than six months.

It was just this past September (September 2nd) that the Board of Parole Hearings denied Atkins' suitability for parole in her 13th hearing. Atkins' hospital bed was wheeled into the hearing room where the hearing lasted approximately 6 hours. For her statement, her husband helped her deliver the 23rd Psalm.

Sharon Tate's sister, Debra Tate asked the board not to free Atkins.

"There has never been any hate in my heart for these people," she said. "I am incapable of hating. I commend them -- always have commended them -- for their good deeds that they have managed to accomplish within the walls of confinement. However, I do believe that the death of my sister, my nephew -- which would be turning 40 years old right now, this week -- is not an irrelevant cause."

During her time in prison Atkins (like many of the other former Manson followers) have denounced Charles Manson.

"He is a liar, a con artist, a physical abuser of women and children, a psychological and emotional abuser of human beings, a thief, a dope pusher, a kidnaper, a child stealer, a pimp, a rapist and a child molester," Atkins once wrote on her Web site.

During her time in prison she became a born again Christian and worked steadily to help at-risk youth, victims of violent crimes and homeless children.

You can see Sharon Tate's sister Debra speaking at Atkins' last parole hearing here.

I have written about my feelings on this story.

I think that Atkins should have been freed. I believe that rehabilitation is possible. I know that Debra Tate feels that even if Atkins has rehabilitated her crime outweighs any positive change. I can understand that viewpoint. Even if Atkins had changed completely, her sister and her unborn child still lost their lives.

So, that is the question. Does murder outweigh rehabilitation? Perhaps it is easy for me to say no as I have not lost a loved one to murder. However, I would like to think that life can offer us many chances. That even if we carry out evil, we can heal and grow.

Debra Tate reports that she has never received an apology from Sharon Tate. I do not know if this is true. If this is indeed true it is quite disappointing and I have no idea why Atkins would not want to apologize to Debra Tate.

Even so, I think the greater issue is....can a person who commits such a terrible crime, actually rehabilitate. I do not think that Atkins was a threat to society. I certainly do not think that she was a threat after she began to suffer from brain cancer.


Debra Tate speaks to Larry King Live on 9/4/09

In this interview Debra Tate tells Larry King that she was not convinced that Debra Tate was terminal as she had lived long after the period of time the doctors suspected she would live. This seems quite strange to me. Even if Atkins was not terminal she certainly was not doing well. I do not see how she would improve enough to harm anyone around her.

I do not know if I believe that Debra Tate has compassion for Atkins. While I disagree with her opinion that all former Manson followers should remain in prison I certainly have compassion for her and I understand why she wants them kept away.

I am glad that Atkins was able to live the best life she could in prison and I am glad that she was able to strive for peace and humility before she died.

No comments:

Post a Comment