Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"bitchy"


Boondocks Comic Strip by Aaron McGruder

Years ago I discovered a satirical comic strip called The Boondocks. I love this comic strip. Eventually it was turned into an animated series. I have been very impressed with the creator Aaron McGruder as he isn't afraid to stand up for what he believes.

As I was reading one of his Boondocks anthologies I began to think back to the 2008 Obama/Clinton presidential campaigns. I visited his myspace page and discovered a youtube video that features a montage of Barack Obama clips. It also features clips of Hillary Clinton. Throughout the video she is being referred to as a "bitch" while the Jay-Z song "99 Problems" plays in the background. The main lyric in the song reads, "I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one".

I wrote Mr. McGruder a brief, firm, yet non-attacking email stating that I didn't understand why he felt the need to promote such a video. If you don't like Clinton fine..but why label her with such an oppressive name?

I don't know why Mr. McGruder personally feels that Clinton is indeed a "bitch", but during that whole campaign I noticed that he was not the only one giving her such a cruel title.

I cannot speak for all the men, and I'm sure women who share such sentiments. However, I feel it inappropriate and oppressive to give someone a label that is meant to be less than human, less than male.

As an artist McGruder is in the unique position of sending a message out to the masses. It seems odd that he speaks so passionately against racism, yet sexism doesn't seem to be worthwhile. At least not with this "bitch" issue.

Aaron McGruder never wrote back and I didn't expect him to. I'm alright with it. I am not angry but disappointed. I still very much respect him for the work that he does. I am just saddened that he missed the bar.

Whenever I see his face in the media this is something I continue to think about.


Boondocks - The Garden Party

No comments:

Post a Comment