Friday, July 17, 2009

in public

Have you ever cried in public?

I've been thinking about the act of crying lately. I've often wished that I could take a series of photos of people crying. (and people laughing). I just don't know how I could actually do this without offending people.



(artinthepicture.com)

I've thought of the times I've cried in public. Not many occasions but I do recall. The last time I cried in public I was in graduate school. I was going through something difficult and felt very very fragile. I was on my way to my car and I walked through the campus while on my cell phone. I began to cry on the phone and didn't care who saw or heard. I didn't care if anyone thought I was a mess. It was actually quite a freeing feeling to just not care.


(sodahead.com)

Ever cry while driving? That one's tricky. Once after a tragic personal event I once drove home sobbing. I attempted to see through the blur, at least enough not to crash. Again, it felt very freeing. Even though I was miserable it felt so great to not care. I wish I could do that more often. To not care to that degree.
It's been a while since I've cried. But I think I need to do it a lot more. Does anyone else feel this way? In our society it's often the men who are taught to keep in their tears. But what about us women who are often told that we are TOO emotional? I think that is in part why I have tried to keep tears from a flowin' in particular situations. Perhaps I can allow myself cry more. And perhaps I can encourage myself to let the tears flow not matter where I'm at or who I'm with. Eeeesh! That's a tall order. But I do think there is strength in crying! Strength in allowing such a release. So, here's to crying in public!

No comments:

Post a Comment