Saturday, July 25, 2009

There is no defense


Chris Rock stand up comedy "Never Scared" - Defending Rap Music

I've seen this piece years ago but had some more thoughts on it as I came across it again on youtube. Here Chris Rock says he loves rap music but hates having to defend it. When he says he's tired of defending rap he seems to suggest that there isn't anything to defend but yet it is other people who are bent out of shape about rap. However, he then disproves his point by admitting that there is indeed a reason as to why it is becoming more and more difficult to support it.

I'd like to point out that as a lover of so many different forms of music, there are many hip hop artists that I enjoy. Medusa, The Roots, Mos Def, De La Soul, Digable Planets, The Beastie Boys and more. However, I find that there is a lot of hip hop that I cannot get behind.

Chris Rock makes a point about how some women react to rap that I have been aware for years and years. Just like Chris I have come across many women who will listen to the most fowl lyrics because they enjoy the beat. They enjoy the almost everything but the sickly lyrics. In the videop clip Chris Rock points out that so many women will respond by saying "He ain't talking about me!" as if that excuses any of it.

In this clip Chris Rock also mentions Biggie Smalls and Tupac Shakur. I know that so many lovers of hip hop are enamoured by the work of these two men. It certainly is a shame that their lives were taken and further more, that their killers have not been found. However, I do not appreciate the messages in many of their songs. Tupac for instance has proven that he is of lyrical talent. Although I do not enjoy his music I have a copy of his book of poetry entitled The Rose That Grew From Concrete. But like I said I can't get onboard the hate filled lyrics aimed towards women. These men have confessed a great love towards their mothers but they have dishonored women through their music.

So, Chris Rock I'm sorry. I think you are a great comedian but you've missed the mark here. There is a reason that you have difficulty defending some rap. When it comes to misogynistic music...there is no defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment