Sunday, July 12, 2009

Pedro's Three Eyed Fish


(randomlengthnews.com)

Today as I was driving I saw a car's back window sporting a sticker with a design of a three eyed fish. Underneath read the words San Pedro. This wasn't just any fish mind you, it was a depiction of local artwork.

I was born in the small city of San Pedro, California. I have lived elsewhere but always seem to come back to "Pedro".

There are several landmarks in Pedro that are quite nostalgic for me. The concrete catch basin by Gaffey St hill is one of them. There the three eyed fish is painted across it. It occured to me today that I have never learned of the origin of the fish. I did some digging and found out.

Dave Butkus was originally a cartoonist and is now an interior design painter. In 1991 he painted the fish. He had noticed a white spotch of paint that covered graffiti on the basin. He says that he first noticed it when he was driving back from a breakfast meal at the Pacific Diner. Another nostalgic landmark for me.

Was he given permission to create the fish? Nope. "I came back about eleven one night and spent fifteen minutes" he said in a 2005 interview for Random Length News. The fish has been through quite a lot. The fish has been painted over by anti-graffiti workers, Gang Alternative programs and has been worn by weather and time. This has caused the fish to change slightly over the years as it has been restored many times over.

I can tell you right now that I love that silly fish. If it were to suddenly vanish it would be a sad day indeed. It has special meaning just like, Sunken City, Sacred Grounds and The Korean Friendship Bell. Any of you out there from Pedro know just what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment