Thursday, July 9, 2009

Rebecca West and her famous quote


(eohoppe.com)
Rebecca West


"I myself have never been able to find out what feminism is; I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute."
--------------------------------Rebecca West (journalist, author, literary critic)



The first time I read this quote I was in Pike's Place Market in Seattle, Washington. It was my first time in Seattle and I was 20. My mother had accompanied me as I was on my way to The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington where I spent my junior and senior years. We entered a store..for the life of me I cannot remember it's name. But Rebecca West's quote was displayed on a t-shirt and I haven't forgotten it since.

It is a quote that shows up on many feminist websites. So, for many feminists who may be reading this post, this quote really is nothing new. But, whenever I do think of this quote I feel an air of union and relatedness. And because there are many others who feel the fierce and bold nature of this quote...we are together in solidarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment