Sunday, October 4, 2009

Which Side Are You On - PART 2

I posted about this song before but it's so damn good that I am posting again.

Here's the link to my former post.

On May 3rd, 2009 folk singer/activist Pete Seeger turned 90. Folk singer/activist Ani Difranco sang the song Which Side Are You On. The song was originally written by union organizer Florence Reese in 1931.



Ani changed the lyrics to represent today's times.

The original lyrics go as follows..

Come all you good workers,
Good news to you I'll tell
Of how the good old union
Has come in here to dwell.
CHORUS:
Which side are you on?
Which side are you on?
Which side are you on?
Which side are you on?
My dady was a miner,
And I'm a miner's son,
And I'll stick with the union
'Til every battle's won.

They say in Harlan County
There are no neutrals there.
You'll either be a union man
Or a thug for J. H. Blair.

Oh workers can you stand it?
Oh tell me how you can?
Will you be a lousy scab
Or will you be a man?

Don't scab for the bosses,
Don't listen to their lies.
Us poor folks haven't got a chance
Unless we organize.

In 1940 Pete Seeger as part of the Almanac Singers which included Woody Guthrie, Lee Hays, and Millard Lampell.

I haven't been able to find Ani Difranco's lyrics online to post. Roar!



I found a version where the lyrics are pretty audible.


Ani Difranco - Which Side Are You On - live at the Ottawa Bluesfest 2009 on July 12th

No comments:

Post a Comment