Thursday, October 1, 2009

Where's your local diner?

I love diners. I have always found them to be quite cozy and warm. Sure there are some weathered ones out there but I think that often gives the environment some character.

The food that you'll find in diners is probably not the healthiest. But every now and then it's nice to have some comfort food or to just sit and hang out with friends while sipping coffee.

I was born in San Pedro, California and it is where I still reside. I've moved to various areas but it seems I always come back to Pedro (pee-dro).

Since I was a child I've been been going to The Pacific Diner. I think most of us locals just refer to it as "the diner".


(source)

Yeah, it doesn't look like much. This is the front entrance. To be honest I've never stepped foot into the diner from this way. I've always entered from the side entrance. The front entrance takes you to counter seating and the back way takes you to booths and tables.


(source)

I don't think the menu has ever changed. I love that! The menu has images of John Wayne and the Looney Tunes character Foghorn Leghorn. Or maybe he's not supposed to be Foghorn Leghorn but he sure looks like him!

When I was a small child my parents took me to a diner called the Hobby Nobby. We were often served by our favorite waitress Vicki. When the restaurant closed down Vicki moved on to the diner and she's been there ever since.

Another aspect of diners I love are those special mother figure waitresses. The one's who are so dear to you, call you "sweetie" and talk your ear off!

Well Vicki was one of those people. I remember she actually bought me my first Michael Jackson poster when I was a child! And she always made sure I had my meal before I ate desert which was usually red Jell-0 with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

Vicki is still at the Pacific Diner. If you see the spry, tall, short grey haired woman tell her I say hello!
;)


(source)

Not too far from the Pacific Diner is the Lighthouse Deli & Cafe. A small eatery that is a bit more modern but still homey.

Still in San Pedro is the Omelette & Waffle Shop. Is it a shop? A cafe? A diner? Whatever. It's awesome and I still consider it in the diner vein.


(source)


(source)

Yum! Fattening yes...but nummy!


(source)

I was recently looking at a website that offers photos of various diners across the country. Go to Diner City to view.

I'm always looking for little nooks and crannies. I enjoy diners, cafes and bistros. Something with a relaxing cozy atmosphere? I'm there!

No comments:

Post a Comment